Col Michael C. Alfaro is the Wing Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. He serves a diverse operational fighter wing equipped with F-15E and F-15SG fighter aircraft. The wing is comprised of 4,200 military and civilian members that support 18 squadrons including a squadron comprised of members from the Republic of Singapore Air Force. It hosts the 726th Air Control Squadron and the Idaho Air National Guard 266th Range Squadron. The wing operates, maintains, and develops the Mountain Home Range Complex comprised of 9,016 square miles of associated airspace and 122,000 acres of land space used for two air-to-ground training ranges, five no-drop target complexes, and 30 multi-size electronic combat sites. The command also includes the 390th Electronic Combat Squadron, which flies U.S. Navy EA-18G Growlers at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Washington.
Col Alfaro received his commission after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 2002 with a degree in mechanical engineering. He is also a graduate of Embry Riddle University, Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, and the Joint Advanced Warfighting School. A career F-15E pilot, Col Alfaro instructed at the United States Air Force Weapons School and commanded the 494th Fighter Squadron. Col Alfaro has also served as the aide-de-camp to the International Security Assistance Force Commander and as a member of the Joint Staff J-7.
Col Alfaro is a command pilot with over 2,200 hours in the F-15E, including 744 combat hours over Iraq and Afghanistan in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the 4th Operations Group at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina.
2002 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2002 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Aeronautical Science w/ distinction, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
2015 Master of Public Administration, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
2019 Master of Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
1. January 2003 – May 2004, Student Pilot, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 2004 – July 2004, Student Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Moody AFB, Ga.
3. August 2004 – May 2005, Student Pilot, F-15E, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. June 2005 – December 2008, F-15E Pilot, Assistant to the Weapons Officer, Chief of Training, Flight Commander, F-15E Instructor and Evaluator, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C. (Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM).
5. January 2009 – June 2009, Student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. July 2009 – May 2011, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Flight Commander, F-15E Instructor and Evaluator, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK (Operation ENDURING FREEDOM).
7. June 2011 – April 2013, Chief of 57th Wing Commander’s Action Group, USAF Weapons School Instructor, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. May 2013 – May 2014, Aide-de-camp for Commander, International Security Assistance Force, Kabul Air Field, Afghanistan (Operation ENDURING FREEDOM).
9. June 2014 – June 2015, Student, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
10. July 2015 – January 2018, Assistant Director of Operations, Director of Operations, Commander, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK.
11. February 2018 – March 2018, Deputy Commander, 48th Maintenance Group, RAF Lakenheath, UK.
12. April 2018 – June 2018, Deputy Commander, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, UK.
13. July 2018 – June 2019, Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
14. July 2019 – April 2021, Branch Chief, Joint Staff J7, Suffolk, Va.
15. May 2021 – June 2023, Commander, 4th Operational Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
16. July 2023 – Present, Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2019 – April 2021, Branch Chief, Joint Staff J7, Suffolk, Va., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,500 (including more than 700 combat hours)
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air and Space Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with two oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Longevity Service Award with five oak leaf clusters
NATO Medal with one star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 2002
First Lieutenant May 29, 2004
Captain May 29, 2006
Major May 1, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2016
Colonel March 1, 2020
(Current as of July 2023)