HomeNewsArticle Display

PCS moving season is in motion!

LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. – Ricky Woodard, warehouse worker/packer, carries boxes to the moving truck July 23. Summer season is one of the busiest times for a Permanent Change-of-Station for military members. One important rule to preparing for PCS is organization. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Gul Crockett)

PCS season is here! Are you ready to move? (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Gul Crockett)

MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE, Idaho -- April marks the beginning of permanent change of station season, and it continues through Oct. 31.

"Detailed and astute planning is critical," says Mr. James Mays, Chief of Personal Property. "As the summer progresses, pack and pick up dates are more difficult to obtain as movers become more saturated. You must prepare early for a successful PCS move."

Members must provide hard copy orders via email or by visiting Personal Property, located in the wing headquarters building (bldg. 512), no later than 30 days prior to requesting pack/pick-up dates. Counseling sessions will be conducted via email unless a face-to-face session is requested, or in the event of a short-notice separation. Members are encouraged to share the counseling information with their spouses, and are responsible to ensure their residences/storage units are clean and ready for movers.

"The movers can refuse to pack and pick up items if the household goods or homes are not clean and organized," said Mays. "Members will be responsible for all excess costs associated with the failed pack/pick-up."

Military members moving under PCS/separation/retirement orders are authorized to claim professional books, paper, and equipment ("pro gear"). The weight of the pro gear does not count against the net weight of the shipments. Spouses are authorized pro gear not to exceed 500 pounds. Ask your counselor about other restrictions that may apply.

"Another option available to members that could result in them making some money as well as saving the government money is moving themselves," said Mays. "If you are making a move due to PCS, separation or retirement, you may be able to do a do-it-yourself or 'DITY' move and be paid an incentive payment based on the net weight of what you move yourself."

For more information contact Personal Property at (208) 828-1466.