CMSgt. Joshua R. Tidwell is the is the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 366th Fighter Wing at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. Chief Tidwell provides enlisted leadership to a wing comprised of more than 4,300 military and civilian members serving in 15 squadrons, and A- Staff functions supporting the F-15E Strike Eagle mission. It hosts the 726th Air Control Squadron – one of only three active-duty Air Force control reporting centers in the U.S. – and the Idaho Air National Guard 266th Range Squadron. The wing operates, maintains and develops the Mountain Home Range Complex comprised of 9,016 square miles of associated airspace and 122,000 acres of land space used for two air-to-ground training ranges, five no-drop target complexes and 30 multi-size electronic combat sites. The command also includes the 390th Electronic Combat Squadron, which flies U.S. Navy EA-18G Growlers at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Washington. Chief Tidwell is charged to develop combat ready Airmen, take care of Gunfighters, and protect and enhance our resources. He is the functional manager for fourteen First Sergeants, ensuring proper training and utilization in leading the Gunfighter Team.
CMSgt. Tidwell was raised in Pell City, Alabama. After graduation from Pell City High School, he left home on February 24, 1999 for Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. There, he attended Basic Military Training followed by the Air Transportation Apprentice Course from which he graduated in May 1999.
CMSgt. Tidwell has worked in various capacities at the combatant command, group, and squadron level. His notable jobs include Vice Commandant, Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, as well as Squadron Superintendent, First Sergeant for five units, Aerial Port Operations Superintendent, and Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of Airlift Operations at U.S. Air Forces Central Headquarters. Additionally, he has served as Vice President of the Chiefs’ Group, and President of two First Sergeant Councils. Chief Tidwell has deployed eight times in support of OPERATIONS SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. During his most recent deployment to Bagram AB, Afghanistan he served as First Sergeant of the 455th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron and First Sergeant Council President.
2001 Airman Leadership School, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2005 Associate of Applied Science, Business Management, Community College of the Air Force
2006 Noncomissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Professional Manager’s Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2011 Air Force Senior Noncomissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Associate of Applied Science, Human Resources Management, Community College of the Air Force
2016 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Enlisted Professional Military Education Instructor Course, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2019 Command Chief Master Sergeants Training Course
2019 Bachelor of Science Degree, Psychology – Life Coaching, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va.
2019 Transnational Issues, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1999 – Apr 1999, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1999 – May 1999, Trainee, Air Transportation Apprentice Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. June 1999 – June 2001, Ramp Services Specialist, 436 Aerial Port Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
4. June 2001 – June 2003, Passenger Service Specialist, 723 Air Mobility Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
5. June 2003 – October 2005, Combat Readiness Instructor, 20 Logistics Readiness Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. October 2005 – July 2011, NCOIC, Airlift Operations, AFCENT Headquarters, Shaw AFB, S.C. (August 2009 – July 2010, Operations Superintendent, 455 Expeditionary Aerial Port Squadron, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
7. August 2011 – October 2013, First Sergeant, 1 Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
8. December 2013 – July2014, First Sergeant, 633 Medical Group, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
9. August 2014 – April 2015, First Sergeant, 52 Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
10. April 2015 – August 2016, First Sergeant, 52 Logistics Readiness Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
11. August 2016 – August 2017, Superintendent, 60 Aerial Port Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
12. August 2017 – May 2020, Vice Commandant Air Force Senior NCO Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
13. May 2020 – Presence, Command Chief, 366 Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
MAJOR AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Bronze Star Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Army Commendation Medal Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
2001 Senior Airman Below the Zone
2003 Airman Leadership School John L. Levitow Award
2006 Air Combat Command Airlift/Tanker Association Halvorsen Award
2006 NCO Academy Distinguished Graduate
2008 9th Air Force HQ NCO of the Year
2009 Airlift/Tanker Association 12 Young Leader Award
2011 SNCO Academy John L. Levitow Award
2011 First Sergeant Academy Top Graduate Award
2013 Air Combat Command/First Sergeant of the Year 2012
2015 Maintenance Group First Sergeant of the Year 2014
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Feb. 25, 1999
Airman Aug. 25, 1999
Airman First Class June 25, 2000
Senior Airman Aug. 25, 2001
Staff Sergeant June 1, 2003
Technical Sergeant July 1, 2006
Master Sergeant July 1, 2009
Senior Master Sergeant March 1, 2012
Chief Master Sergeant March 1, 2016
(Current as of June 2020)